In the middle of a cookie baking frenzy, I remind myself that it would be prudent to invest in some Silpats. Not only am I wasting money on roll after roll of parchment paper, but very soon, my guilt over deforestation...oh, never mind. Just bake some of these cookies, which were a childhood favorite of mine.
Corn Flake Cookies
Yield: 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 cup chopped nuts ( I use walnuts or pecans)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 4 cups flour, decrease to 3 1/2 cups for a chewier cookie
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cream butter, sugars, vanilla and egg.
- Add oil.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Form dough into walnut sized balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and flatten with a fork dipped in water.
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes.
- Cool on pan for a minute or two, then transfer to a rack to cook.
Linking to some of these great sites: